Site Map FAQ Link Contact About
Electric Bicycle Law in Australia
There are 6 provinces in Australia, 2 main land territories and thousands of islands. Fortunately, all of them have almost the same regulation regarding electric bicycles.
Here they are:
- The motor must not be capable of generating more than 200 watts of power
- wear an approved bicycle helmet securely fitted and fastened
- Have at least one effective brake
- Yu have to visible at night
- Have pedals as a means of propulsion
In general, motorized bicycles are required to adhere to the same road rules as bicycles and have the same rights and responsibilities.
The only thing that is really different from province to province is the minimum allowed age to use e-bikes. For example, in Victoria children under 12 years old are not allowed to use them while in West Australia the minimum age is 16.
If you want to dig into official law of each province, use this links:
New South Wales
Return from Electric Bicycle Law Australia to Electric Bicycle Laws